RE: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are ref…

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: RE: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
[ On Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 16:52:01 (+0100), Alan J. Flavell wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
>
> Well, OK, it might be an out-of-office or vacation response or
> suchlike rather than a delivery report "as such", but the bottom line
> is the same.

Indeed the bottom line is the same -- such a policy implementation
results in lost mail, mail which (from a postmaster's hopeful point of
view), is at least as important, if not moreso, than other mail.

You cannot truly force any defined relationship between the sending host
and the sender address, and especially not for any reply address given in
message headers. You likely cannot prevent your users from using other
outbound relays when they are sending messages from off-site.

> I really don't want the postmasters to have to inspect all
> of those before discarding them.

Then define and implement policies which will properly categorize those
messages so that those which are clearly junk can be discarded
automatically, leaving only those that should be of some importance to
be delivered to the intended recipients.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@???>