Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are ref…

Author: Ted Cooper
New-Topics: RE: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusingbounces...
Subject: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Perhaps not, but Exim's current design is what has made it possible for
> many _millions_ of domains to implement such a policy without a second
> thought or apparently even a stern warning.

I'm really quite sick of this thread and if I was using a good enough email
client to ignore it, I would. But, alas, I am stuck with a windows client and
I'll just have to reply to convince you to PLEASE take this elsewhere.

Exim is an MTA. It well designed to be expansible and pretty much limitless.
In terms of software engineering, it is a complete success and a joy to look
at. It's main selling point for me is that I can DO ANYTHING when sending and
recieving mail! I follow the guidelines as much as possible, compensating for
stupidity here, making a judgement call there. If exim where to be neutered in
some way to prevent me from doing that, I'd fork it - most people already make
their own customizations.

Just because some people on the net have decided to do something one way, that
you don't agree with, does not justify you coming here and bitching about how
it's easy to stuff up SMTP protocol with exim. In fact, it's NOT easy - it
requires you to learn how to use the exim config files and all (most) of the
directives.

Incidently, EVERY OTHER MTA, can be configured EASILY to not accept bounces -
try googling it.

What has happened for these millions of domains is that someone has done all
those work for them - they have used cPanel! If you have an issue with how
they have configured exim, take it up with them. If people are stupid enough
to have their domain hosted on such a service, I don't want to talk to them
anyway, and my clients wont either - if they do, I'll whitelist it.

Exim will never be neutered to stop idiots configuring it, just like bullets
will never have the gun powder taken out so idiots can't shoot themselves in
the foot. Fin.

Ted.