Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are ref…

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Stephen Gran
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
[ On Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 11:46:53 (-0400), Stephen Gran wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
>
> What if I put instead
>         IF $sender IS $the_null_return_path THEN
>                 file_message(/dev/null)

> The facility to ignore bounces still exists, and your campaign to hobble
> ACL's has changed nothing.

Such a rule does not cause bounces to be rejected at the protocol level.

> But, I guess this would make you happy,

Very true. If the MTA handling mail for the intended recipient accepts
the message for delivery then that's all that the sending host needs to
worry about, as is defined in the SMTP protocol standard.

> Give me one reason why I should accept a message to root@ with a null
> sender, originating outside my network. root never sends a message to
> anyone, and never directly receives a message (aliases and all that).

If root doesn't receive messages then block _all_ messages to root
regardless of what sender address they arrive with (e.g. if they're not
delivered by a command-line agent running on the localhost).

--
                        Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@???>