Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are ref…

Author: Stephen Gran
Subject: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 04:14:59AM -0400, Greg A. Woods said:
> [ On Friday, June 24, 2005 at 10:45:51 (+0100), Philip Hazel wrote: ]
>
> Meanwhile for final delivery rules there could be a context sensitive
> special identifier which would match the null return path:
>
>     IF $sender IS $the_null_return_path THEN
>         file_message(/var/mail/bounces)

What if I put instead
        IF $sender IS $the_null_return_path THEN
                file_message(/dev/null)

The facility to ignore bounces still exists, and your campaign to hobble
ACL's has changed nothing. But, I guess this would make you happy,
since you wouldn't have undeliverable bounces on your system (which as I
recall is what started the whole tantrum, although you later stated that
undeliverable bounces were a sign of a poorly configured system. Go
figure)

On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 02:54:40AM -0400, Greg A. Woods said:
> [ On Friday, June 24, 2005 at 14:36:57 (+0200), Jakob Hirsch wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim are refusing bounces...
> >
> > Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > >
> > > However if messages would be accepted from the client for "valid"
> > > recipients, then bounce messages MUST NOT be treated specially.
> >
> > Wrong. If an address never sends out mail, it is no good to accept empty
> > sender mails to this recipient.
>
> No, sorry, but you are _VERY_ wrong -- in complete contradiction with
> the IETF _standards_ for hosts and SMTP.
>
> Like I said before there are many other reasons for messages to be sent
> using a null return path other than just being notifications returned
> about mail with cannot be delivered.

Give me one reason why I should accept a message to root@ with a null
sender, originating outside my network. root never sends a message to
anyone, and never directly receives a message (aliases and all that).
Yet root exists as a user, so it exists as an address. If you can
explain to me why I should accept this email, maybe your campaign would
make more sense.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Love is the delusion that one woman     |
|  steve@???             | differs from another.   -- H.L. Mencken |