[exim] Integrating Exim, Cyrus, other saslauthd with MySQL

Author: Matt Sealey
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Integrating Exim, Cyrus, other saslauthd with MySQL

Hello all,

Does anyone here have any experience or working setup of an
Exim/Cyrus mail system (configured to use saslauthd) which
uses MySQL as a database back end?

I am looking at the kind of table structure needed, how to
use some of the more esoteric authentication (cram-md5 and so on
rather than LOGIN or PLAIN), and to put all this information
so that one user ('bobby') has all the info for all his
services in the single table row.

Eventually the goal is to have this database web administrable
(via password-protected website, which would also authenticate
from the same database row..) and for subversion and so on to
utilise the information.

I am having real trouble pulling together documentation enough
to be confident that I am doing the right thing.

I currently have SMTP AUTH working, Cyrus etc. all runs off
saslauthd and it hooks into PAM to get the passwords. I have
tried to implement MySQL selects but it always complains that
it cannot connect or that it has the wrong authentication
information (I can fire up mysqladmin with it though).

I would greatly welcome any advise anyone could give just to
add that extra confidence in the situation and the project.
As I will have to develop this on a live system also, I am
loathe to get it terribly wrong and take down a working setup
for too long. My test will be a subversion repository using
it, then I will migrate Exim and Cyrus I hope, and any other
services can be shanghaid on top..

Thanks in advance,

--
Matt Sealey <matt@???>