Re: [exim] rewriting headers (add and remove)

Author: Michael Johnson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] rewriting headers (add and remove)
On 22 Jun, 2005, at 11:58:52 AM EDT, Fred Viles wrote:

> On 22 Jun 2005 at 11:28, Michael Johnson wrote about
>     "Re: [exim] rewriting headers (add a":

> | The only difference I can see between the 4.43 router section and
> | this one is the addition of the vacation section.
>
> You didn't add mysql_catchall?

Looking at the old configure file on the old disk (the entire server
was rebuilt from scratch on a new disk since the disk decided it
didn't want to boot any more), it doesn't appear as though I added
mysql_catchall, but I could be wrong.

> | How did adding the
> | vacation section change the behavior of the headers_add
> | headers_remove sections?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by calling headers_add and headers_remove
> "sections". They are *options* of the router in which they appear -
> in this case the mysql_catchall router - and they only affect
> messages accepted by that router.

As Philip keeps beating into my head to no avail, I keep incorrectly
calling them sections. I should be calling them options, but for
some reason, I can't get that through my thick skull. I understand
it, but my fingers keep typing "sections" instead of "options". Time
to requisition new fingers. =-)

> Since the vacation_director router is "unseen", it shouldn't have any
> effect on which messages reach the mysql_catchall router. I suspect
> the problem is that the messages you are testing with are accepted by
> the mysql_user router, so they don't reach the mysql_catchall router.

If I were to move them to the mysql_user router, this should all work
again? Is that an oversimplification?

Initially, I didn't realize they were not a router on their own. I
looked over the original sequence of messages between us last year
when I originally wanted to do this, and you told me it needed to be
part of a router. I was overwhelmed figuring out what the different
parts of the syntax meant, and I missed your reference. Things are
beginning to be clearer now.

I apologize for seeming really dense on this. It's not intentional.
If it were, I'd be much worse. =-)

-Michael

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                 --spaf (1992)