Re: [exim] Retry times

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steve Sargent
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry times
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Steve Sargent wrote:

> The exim running on our imap server has this retry rule:-
>

> imap.qmul.ac.uk        *           F,1h,5m; F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h

> *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,8h

> Messages addressed to username@??? get stuck in the queue because
> the user is over quota, and remain in the queue for 10 days even though the
> retry rule says 4 days. Does anyone know why?

1. What does

exim -brw username@???

say?

2. What does

exinext username@???

say?

3. What is the debug output from

exim -d -M <an id for a stuck message>

?

One possible scenario is that messages pile up for this user; she clears
out her mailbox and one message is delivered, filling it up again. This
sequence continues. The point is that once one message is successfully
delivered, the retry clock for the address will be reset.

HOWEVER: There is a rule that no message should stay on the queue for
longer than the longest retry time for any of its addresses. So what I
wrote above should be superseded by that rule. The debug output might
give a clue as to what is happening.