Re: [exim] problem compiling exim 4.51

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] problem compiling exim 4.51
On 15/06/05, Sujit Choudhury <S.Choudhury@???> wrote:
> I am trying to compile exim 4.51 and failing in the first hurdle.  I am
> getting the following:
> Pruning file `pcre/libpcre.a'.
>      Considering target file `lookups/lookups.a'.
>       File `lookups/lookups.a' does not exist.
>       Looking for an implicit rule for `lookups/lookups.a'.
>       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
>       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/lookups.a,v'.
>       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
>       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/RCS/lookups.a,v'.
>       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
>       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/RCS/lookups.a'.
>       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
>       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/s.lookups.a'.
>       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
>       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/SCCS/s.lookups.a'.
>       No implicit rule found for `lookups/lookups.a'.
>       Finished prerequisites of target file `lookups/lookups.a'.
>      Must remake target `lookups/lookups.a'.
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `lookups/lookups.a', needed by
> `exim'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/exim/BUILD/exim-4.50/build-Linux-i386'
> Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
> Reaping losing child 0x080799b0 PID 12967
> make: *** [go] Error 2

> I have the following INCLUDE files:
> INCLUDE=-I/usr/include/db40
> TLS_INCLUDE=-I/usr/include/openss
> and the following library
> TLS_LIBS=-L/usr/lib -lssl -lcrypto
>
> In the Makefile I have the following:
> ROUTER_DNSLOOKUP=yes
> LOOKUP_DBM=yes
> LOOKUP_LSEARCH=yes
> LOOKUP_CDB=yes
> LOOKUP_LDAP=yes
> LDAP_LIB_TYPE=OPENLDAP2
>
> Any input will be helpful.

First, have you added extra lookup types in the Makefile since you
last compiled? If so, and for safety,

rm -rf build-*
make clean
make

See if that helps. Exim's build process builds down-level Makefiles
first time round, and doesn't update them if you add stuff. So some
components don't get built.

Of course, this might make no difference at all, but it's always the
first think I do when I have build problems.

Peter
--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@???