[exim] problem compiling exim 4.51

Author: Sujit Choudhury
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] problem compiling exim 4.51
I am trying to compile exim 4.51 and failing in the first hurdle. I am
getting the following:
Pruning file `pcre/libpcre.a'.
      Considering target file `lookups/lookups.a'.
       File `lookups/lookups.a' does not exist.
       Looking for an implicit rule for `lookups/lookups.a'.
       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/lookups.a,v'.
       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/RCS/lookups.a,v'.
       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/RCS/lookups.a'.
       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/s.lookups.a'.
       Trying pattern rule with stem `lookups.a'.
       Trying implicit prerequisite `lookups/SCCS/s.lookups.a'.
       No implicit rule found for `lookups/lookups.a'.
       Finished prerequisites of target file `lookups/lookups.a'.
      Must remake target `lookups/lookups.a'.
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `lookups/lookups.a', needed by
`exim'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/exim/BUILD/exim-4.50/build-Linux-i386'
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Reaping losing child 0x080799b0 PID 12967
make: *** [go] Error 2

I have the following INCLUDE files:
INCLUDE=-I/usr/include/db40
TLS_INCLUDE=-I/usr/include/openss