Re: [exim] Send direct, but use ISP relay if any error occur…

Author: Andrew McGill
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Send direct, but use ISP relay if any error occurs
Chris Edwards wrote,

> | We want to deliver outgoing mail with the following strategy:
> |
> |  1. Attempt to deliver mail directly to destination.
> |
> |  2. If (1) fails for *any* reason (452 DNS blacklisted, 550 DNS
> |     blacklist, DNS failure, or TCP timeout) then treat this as a
> |     temporary failure and retry immediately using the ISP mail
> |     spooler.

> Hi,
>
> As discussed yesterday, the fundamental problem is many sites
> will accept your mail (2XX) and then deliver it into a spam
> folder, which the user may or may not read in a timely manner,
> or indeed, at all. You have no way of knowing if this has
> happened.

These people are breaking the rules, and eventually all of their
mail will end up in the trash (along with their expensive
software). I simply want to be able to retry a 550 Permanent
Failure code at my ISP.

> Best to get a real server:

I have one already, but this means paying 3 times for the
bandwidth: once out from dynamic IP, once in to server, and once
out from server. Unlike yours, our packets have to walk through
the valley of the shadow of monopoly telecoms.

&:-)