Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:51:24 +0100 (BST)
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

[PCRE support in Exim]

> (1) Insist on a system library being installed.

Go for it, IMHO. As Nigel said, I'd rather have 1 copy of a library to
update in case of an important (e.g. security) fix, rather than
the lottery of trying to pin down completely unrelated packages because
they're statically linked against it. No point in having ten copies of
something on a system when you only need one. Plus it saves you having
to issue Exim updates in the event of a critical PCRE problem.

OK, so I use systems (RH/Fedora) which come with PCRE. But even for
those that don't, the above is still relevant. Even if Red Hat removed
the PCRE package from their distributions, I'd still say the same.

> (2) Use a *standard* private copy of PCRE, not a cut-down version as
> now.

Even if you opt for this, would it be possible to have a build-time
option to dynamically link against a system copy? PHP provides this
choice, which is nice. Presumably it would be fairly easy if Exim is
expecting a "standard" version anyway.

Tim