Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim
On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 11:52 +0200, V. T. Mueller wrote:
> Nevertheless, having pcre omitted from the exim distribution would
> result in:
>
> - adding (not always a first) external prerequisite to exim
> - change the way BSD packages have to be built
> - would not help regarding the numerous other software that uses
> pcre (see Nigel's post)

My own feeling is that I would like to have the mechanism to select at
build time the use of an internally packaged PCRE or a system PCRE.
That gives a migration path for OSes to move to having PCRE as a system
library and reducing the n copies they have across the system to just
one.

This does tend to also require that PCRE have a stable API and ideally a
way of reporting back its version number so that information can be seen
when debugging exim problems. I confess I'm currently too lazy/busy/etc
to have looked up whether these requirements/assumptions are true.

    Nigel.