Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: V. T. Mueller
CC: exim-dev, Nigel Metheringham
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, V. T. Mueller wrote:

> > This means that if there is a security vulnerability found in PCRE I
> > have 6 packages to update, whereas if everything used (dynamic linking)
> > the system version there would be one package to update. This is
> > exactly the problem which caused significant pain to people a couple of
> > years back when we were chasing all the packages that happened to have
> > zlib compiled in statically.
>
> Depending on circumstances, there are good arguments both for and against the
> use of [private] shared libraries. Besides, Apache and PHP for example come
> with their own pcre.
>
> So the straightest way to achieve what you're suggesting would be an
> availability check for an "already-there-not-too-old" library at pcre link
> time, wouldn't it?

That is too much of an upheaval for a 4.52 release that I want to get
out soon. I have, today, modified Exim to include the new-format PCRE
6.0 file set, but it is getting messier to "cut down" PCRE for Exim
because of the new features in PCRE. Something will have to be done in
due course. One, or even both of:

(1) Insist on a system library being installed.
(2) Use a *standard* private copy of PCRE, not a cut-down version as now.