Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim

Autor: V. T. Mueller
A: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim

Hello,

Nigel Metheringham schrieb:
> Providing a build mechanism to allow exim to be built against a system
> PCRE would be useful - looking very quickly at my laptop I can see at
> least 6 packages using PCRE, only one of which links to the system PCRE
> library.
>
> This means that if there is a security vulnerability found in PCRE I
> have 6 packages to update, whereas if everything used (dynamic linking)
> the system version there would be one package to update. This is
> exactly the problem which caused significant pain to people a couple of
> years back when we were chasing all the packages that happened to have
> zlib compiled in statically.

Depending on circumstances, there are good arguments both for and
against the use of [private] shared libraries. Besides, Apache and
PHP for example come with their own pcre.

So the straightest way to achieve what you're suggesting would be an
availability check for an "already-there-not-too-old" library at
pcre link time, wouldn't it?

Kind regards,
vt