Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: V. T. Mueller
CC: exim-dev, Phil Brutsche
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] PCRE inclusions in Exim
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, V. T. Mueller wrote:

> Err, I doubt that. At least, even an old and minimally installed HP-UX has
> those included in the core OS:

It was certainly true in the early days of Exim (i.e. at the end of last
century) that some Linux distributions (and possibly other OS) did not
include a DB library by default. A search of the very old mailing list
archives should turn up some threads (if anyone can be bothered to
look).

> So I'd still say that pcre would be the first external prerequisite for "core"
> exim if omitted from the distribution.

Maybe today, yes, but not historically!

What I am thinking is that, in the longer term, PCRE may reach the same
status as the DB libraries.