Re: [exim] greylisting

Author: cjackson
To: Steffen Heil
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] greylisting
Steffen Heil wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am planing some greylisting experiments on my servers.
>So I thought to ask, how other do it (successfully).
>
>What do you take into account?
>- Recipient Address ?? - yes, propably

Yes

>- Sender Address ??

Yes

>- Sending Host ??

Yes, Ip address

>- Sending Host's subnet ??
>- Sending Host's HELO name ??
>
>How long do you accept mails from recorded tuples?
>- 2 hours after first try?
>- 2 weeks after first delivered mail?

The resend time wait is 12 minutes. After resending, the tuple is
permanent. It is never removed from the table. I check the greylist
table once per week and remove commercial junk. Commercial IPs are added
to a script and removed nightly.

The result has been extraordinary. Spam went down 60% overnight
(compared to Mailsweeper, our previous product). Spamassassin picks 100%
of the spam that is resent -- with some FP (but that's OK_with us). We
have experienced some servers not resending and we have lost a very
small bit of mail. The main problem is alerts from servers that do not
resend. Well, that mail is lost. We had to whitelist them.

Good luck,
Craig Jackson