Re: [exim] Can't send to exim-users list because of rediculo…

Author: cjackson
To: Daevid Vincent
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Can't send to exim-users list because of rediculously strictRBL filter
Daevid Vincent wrote:

>I'm trying to get help on exim and so I join the exim-users list
>(daevid@???), but then I can't send to the list because you block
>my IP because it is part of a dynamic IP service (comcast). This is
>extremely frustrating.
>
>[131.111.8.41] P=esmtp S=2553
>id=mailman.0.1118703407.54775.exim-users@???
>Jun 13 16:09:23 [exim] 2005-06-13 16:09:23 1Dhy3V-0004mC-R6 **
>exim-users@??? R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote
>mailer after RCPT TO:<exim-users@???>: host sesame.csx.cam.ac.uk
>[131.111.8.41]: 550 Access denied - 24.16.16.159 listed by
>rbl-plus.mail-abuse.ja.net
>
>This is my work email by the way, and I can't use it for personal stuff
>like this list. I joined soley to ask this question and show you how
>assinine it is to have your only mechanism for help be a mailing list
>that many people can't even use! Could you possibly relax your strict
>rules and DNS lookups or have a web UI for the forums or some other way
>for folks to get help?

I had this very same problem with the Exim list after policy changed. I
bought a static IP because I'm not sending jack through my ISP. This is
my business also and I take it damn seriously, so I do what it takes to
get the job done -- and I don't complain about it. I'm sure there are
very good reasons for blocking dynamic IPs. I do not know what that
reason is though. At first I thought it was spam, but spam has never
been a problem on this list. Then it occurred to me that the purpose is
to keep frivilous questions to a minimum with the theory that people
mucking around with home mail servers would be an endless source of
silliness, but frivilous questions have remained pretty constant -- some
of my own being examples. Then I thought maybe people posting through
broken mail servers being the cause of the questions presented a burden
to the list -- you know, lots of bounces and deferrals etc. But really I
am curious as to why. BTW, since this is your business, you'll also know
that Apache lists block dynamic IPs also. Seems to be a trend.
Craig Jackson
To whom you are speaking.