Re: [exim] Rejecting non-RFC compliant email addresses?

Author: Colm MacCarthaigh
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Rejecting non-RFC compliant email addresses?
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:17:44PM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:11 +0100, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> > However, I'm finding that registrations which demand my email address
> > are typically refusing to accept "+" as part of my address - so, even
> > though *I* could use it, *they* won't. Whether this is deliberate
> > (they worked out that people using "+" are trying to track who they
> > sell the address to), or they're just too badly educated to know
> > what's legal, I can't say.
>
> I'm currently locked out of my energy provider's site because they won't
> let me use a + in an email address (however the previous site - run by a
> different company that got taken over - did allow this, so I am already
> registered with an email they consider illegal). In this case its given
> me the final impetus to take my business elsewhere so I'm transferring
> out.

I've had similar problems unfortunately, though with my phone provider.
I tried using - as a delimiter also, but to no avail. I'm currently
setting up a wildcard MX record for my domain, and I plan to just use;

    localpart@[provider].example.com

as my format. If anyone else has tried this, I'd be interested to know
if they found it vulnerable much? Though it can't be as bad as using an
*@ catchall.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh  /   HEAnet, Teach Brooklawn,  /   Innealtóir Líonra
+353 1 6609040    /  Bóthar Shelbourne, BÁC, IE /  http://www.hea.net/