Re: [exim] Rejecting non-RFC compliant email addresses?

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Rejecting non-RFC compliant email addresses?
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Wrong. See RFC 2822. Almost anything is permitted in a local part if
> correctly quoted.

Indeed. This had become practically an FAQ in a Perl context, some
years back, and Randal Schwartz had a stock answer for it, with a
baroque but RFC-legal address as an example; but for some reason I
don't seem to be able to find it again at the moment (perhaps some
more-perceptive reader can help me out).

However, I'm finding that registrations which demand my email address
are typically refusing to accept "+" as part of my address - so, even
though *I* could use it, *they* won't. Whether this is deliberate
(they worked out that people using "+" are trying to track who they
sell the address to), or they're just too badly educated to know
what's legal, I can't say.

It's irritating, to say the least.