Re: [exim] Message size checks on spam ACLs

Author: Craig Jackson
To: eli-list
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Message size checks on spam ACLs
Eli wrote:
> Fred wrote:
>
>>That's interesting. What is your threshold, currently?
>>
>>FWIW, at my small business site (very low volume compared to
>>yours), I have only seen a handfull over 100K in the last
>>year, and none over 200K.
>

> Just a FYI for anyone who cares - I have my 3 servers (serving 50k+ users)
> set to scan anything under 2M and I have not had spamd problems once yet.
> Obviously server specs and average load are the determining factors to how
> big a message you can have spamd scan without running in to problems.
> People just have to be more mindful of what servers can and can't handle :)

Along those lines, what I'm thinking about is scanning based on mime
rather than size. If the email is plain text or html, then scan no
matter what size it is. If the email has a doc,jpg,pdf or other such
desirable attachment, then scan beneath a size threshold -- or
preferrably up to the attachment envelope. How doable is this with
Spamassassin? I am using Exim 4.50 with content scanning. So checking
for MIME is easy. But scanning up to the attachment envelope is the hard
part.

Craig Jackson