Re: [exim] manualroute and queueing

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Mark Edwards
CC: Marc Sherman, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] manualroute and queueing
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Mark Edwards wrote:

> I then run exim with:
>
> exim -bd -q30s
>
> So that messages are sent no later than 30 seconds from when they go on the
> queue.

There is no guarantee of that. All you are guaranteeing is that you
start a queue runner every 30 seconds. If you have a queue of any
length, it might take some time for a queue runner to process it all,
even if it is skipping most messages. However, if your queue is always
very small, it won't matter.

> > > The only thing I dislike about this is that it takes a long time for the
> > > process to complete, which requires the client to sit and wait for the
> > > whole process. Can someone suggest a way to have exim queue mail for the
> > > smart router, and issue a bounce if some problem occurs? As it is, it
> > > takes a minute or two for a client to send a mail, which isn't really
> > > pleasant on the user's end.

Looking back at this, there is something not right. Under a normal
configuration, Exim should not start sending a message until after it
has accepted it *and told the client so*. Sending delays should not
affect the receiving in any way, unless you have set the "mua_wrapper"
option, which specifically asks for this behaviour.