Re: [exim] tls-on-connect with cyrus_sasl

Autor: Mark Edwards
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] tls-on-connect with cyrus_sasl
On Jun 1, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Mark Edwards wrote:
>>
>> Strangely, the exim mainlog doesn't even register the connection
>> attempt when
>> I don't specify port 465, and Outlook Express times out with a
>> "Connection
>> failed" message.
>
> Sounds like a firewall configuration problem.

I figured it out. I am currently in Stockholm, and the servers in
question are in San Francisco. The ISP's here (I've tried two now)
apparently are blocking outgoing port 25, which is causing the failure,
because I guess Outlook Express tries on port 25 first, fails, and then
switches to 465.

What is really weird is that I didn't see the failure on the older
server a few days ago, and I did on the newer server. Now they both
fail unless I specify port 465, so the blocking mechanism changed
mysteriously, or I messed up my test.

Either way, that's the problem. I verified this by telnetting from
various machines. Pain in the butt, but I guess that's all part of the
fun of the spam wars.

Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards