Re: [exim] OS X Server binary for command line install?

Author: Michael Johnson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] OS X Server binary for command line install?
On May 28, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Mieke Banderas wrote:

> Tony Finch said:
>
>> Alternatively, the Xcode tools come with cross-development
>> software which
>> allows you to compile for earlier OS releases. We can't tell you
>> how to
>> use that here; you should consult Apple's documentation.
>>
> I was hoping some people would have done exactly that or knew what
> could
> cause the available package installers to hang running under a OS
> version
> both say they support. The Installer command does work under Panther
> (10,3), so I don't see why it should be nonworking only under
> Jaguar (10.2).
> I know that one can use the Xcode app and target 10.2, but I have
> yet to
> find any info on how to do it from the CLI.

I'd recommend going to:

<http://maxo.captainnet.net/installs/jaguar/index.html>

George has set up some amazingly great installations using mysql as
the backend. You can simply download the .pkg files and install
those with a command like:

installer -pkg /path/to/package.pkg -target /

This will give you a command line installation of the .pkg files.
You don't need to have the source to compile it or anything. George
has also given very good and detailed instructions. If you fail,
he's a very nice and helpful person. In all the times I've screwed
things up on my system, he has been extremely helpful in helping me
to look in the right place to fix it.

On a side note, it would probably be a good thing to get the dev
tools installed. I find them to be very helpful when I come across
little things like trying to get a newer version of ssh installed.

-Michael

What you can do, or dream you can do, begin it; boldness has genius,
power and magic in it.
         - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe