Re: [exim] Requesting - TNEF into b64/MIME

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Gary Allen Vollink
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Requesting - TNEF into b64/MIME
On Wed, 25 May 2005, Gary Allen Vollink wrote:

> I currently have Outlook clients using SMTP through my Exim server,
> and they often directly send TNEF filetypes outbound to remote
> sites,

Microsoft tell them clearly that this format is unsuitable for sending
to arbitrary email recipients, it's only suitable for other MS
recipients.

I've often considered rejecting mails from the Internet with this kind
of attachment, on that basis:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q241538

In practice we know that some consenting users interchange MS-format
mails between MS clients via the open-format mail system, so we
wouldn't be able to do that on a blanket basis, but we know lots of
folk who are irritated by getting this junk.

If they can't configure their mail system in accordance with the
documentation from their own software provider, I'm not sure why
they're entitled to any sympathy from us.

But if you're sure that's what you want to do, a google for the terms
(microsoft tnef) produces several links to code that's meant to decode
TNEF format. The MS track record shows that they'll likely tinker
with the format at regular intervals, with the result (I leave it to
you to decide whether this is deliberate or not) that third party
implementations will stop working.

good luck in your hunt.