Re: [exim] Using IMAP folders as quarantine

Author: Craig Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using IMAP folders as quarantine
Tony Finch wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2005, Craig Jackson wrote:
>
>>1) Some mail with cc'd addresses is being duplicated in local delivery as
>>many times as there are addresses from our domain.
>

> Use the batch_max option.
>

>>2) If the mail is good, how do we "release it" (using Mozilla
>>Thunderbird and Courier-imap's Outbox feature) without Exim trying to
>>send to all of the cc'd addresses not in our domain? Does anyone know of
>>a better way to do this using (or not using) IMAP. I've briefly looked
>>at Mailscanner but I'm not clear on the admin interface for releasing
>>mail from multiple queues.
>

> You can't do this, because after final delivery the list of recipients
> seen by your MTA has been lost. You can avoid this problem by storing the
> quarantined email in batch SMTP format, but then you can't use IMAP to
> check them.

The transport looks like this:

save_all:
    driver = appendfile
    batch_max = 200
    use_bsmtp
    envelope_to_add
    delivery_date_add
    return_path_add
    group = mail
    mode = 0660
    directory = /var/spool/exim/vmail/postmaster/Maildir
    create_directory
    maildir_format = true

The "duplicate" issue is resolved and I find that I can use IMAP to
check the mail because I retained Maildir_format. Now, what if I started
a second Exim process for only sending out mail through a manual route
and made its queue one of the IMAP folders, e.g.
/path/to/Maildir/.queue/cur. If I dragged and dropped the batched emails
_one at a time_ into that folder, would the second Exim process pick up
the email and send it on without a hitch?

Thanks for your help.
Craig