Re: [exim] Using IMAP folders as quarantine

Author: Martin Hepworth
To: exim-users
CC: Craig Jackson
Subject: Re: [exim] Using IMAP folders as quarantine

Tony Finch wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2005, Craig Jackson wrote:
>
>>1) Some mail with cc'd addresses is being duplicated in local delivery as
>>many times as there are addresses from our domain.
>

> Use the batch_max option.
>

>>2) If the mail is good, how do we "release it" (using Mozilla
>>Thunderbird and Courier-imap's Outbox feature) without Exim trying to
>>send to all of the cc'd addresses not in our domain? Does anyone know of
>>a better way to do this using (or not using) IMAP. I've briefly looked
>>at Mailscanner but I'm not clear on the admin interface for releasing
>>mail from multiple queues.
>

> You can't do this, because after final delivery the list of recipients
> seen by your MTA has been lost. You can avoid this problem by storing the
> quarantined email in batch SMTP format, but then you can't use IMAP to
> check them. MailScanner also doesn't have friendly support for browsing
> the quarantine, but because it stores the messages in queue format you can
> just mv them into /var/spool/exim/input to release them.
>
> Tony.

If you use MailWatch to provide an GUI type interface you can browse the
quarantine reasonably well - well works for me anyhow.

Also there's a script called Quarentine Report on www.fsl.com/support
that can be used with Exim. Part of this make exim call itself for each
of the recipients so you get 1 mail per recipient. Thus you can make
sure that only that single address gets the released email.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.