Re: [exim] authenticate * not work

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: G W, exim-users
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] authenticate * not work
At 10:21 pm +0800 2005/05/20, G W wrote:
>i discover that SMTP fixup is on when connecting to port 25 but not
>another port i open (1025)
>
># port 25
>220 ************************************0 *****20 ****200**22**2*20 *0*00
>ehlo mail3.techsoft.com.hk
>500 unrecognized command

yes we knew this one.

># port 1025
>ehlo mail3.techsoft.com.hk
>250-mail3.techsoft.com.hk Hello cm218-253-132-53.hkcable.com.hk
>[218.253.132.53]
>250-SIZE 5242880
>250-PIPELINING
>250-AUTH PLAIN CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
>250 HELP
>but port 1025 still requires password in SMTP session when sending
>mail to domains that are not 1 of my virtual domains. :- (
>
>any help would be very appreciated.

funny port: grep 1025 /etc/services
blackjack       1025/tcp    # network blackjack

When you go back home do you use your key or just walk straight in?
You see, something like a password or a key must be used if you want
authentication.
Or perhaps you do not know what authentication is? Authorization to
relay can be IP based, if you have absolute control on a certain
range of IPs that is a possibility (but pay attention if there are
windows machines!).
We already discussed the option that OE gives of using the same
authentication data as POP/IMAP, Eudora does not really give you the
option to enter the password twice, at least on the Mac. So what the
heck is the problem??

Presumably your users have to reenter the password every time they
attempt to send (and fail) simply because authentication (and thus
the sending process) fails.

Giuliano