Re: [exim] authenticate * not work

Author: Marc Sherman
To: G W
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] authenticate * not work
G W wrote:

> # port 1025
> ehlo mail3.techsoft.com.hk
> 250-mail3.techsoft.com.hk Hello cm218-253-132-53.hkcable.com.hk [218.253.132.53]
> 250-SIZE 5242880
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-AUTH PLAIN CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
> 250 HELP
>
> but port 1025 still requires password in SMTP session when sending
> mail to domains that are not 1 of my virtual domains. :- (
>
> any help would be very appreciated.

If you don't want a password required, then don't use authenticate in
your ACLs. Requiring a password (or some other credential, like a
certificate) is the _definition_ of authenticate.

Most MUAs allow the user to save their credentials in the MUAs config,
so this is a one-time hassle, not with every message being sent.

By the way, 587 is the standard port for message submission, if you want
to open a different port to get around the PIX.

- Marc