Re: [exim] authenticate * not work

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] authenticate * not work
At 9:20 pm +0800 2005/05/19, G W wrote:
> > emulation...?
>
>No. just curious why 2 MUAs behave the same regarding to authentication.
>there're several authenticators and i guess that different MUA will
>use different one if appropriate to use.

I meant to say, that thunderbird is emulating OE.

>> >The other 2 (AUTH PLAIN and AUTH CRAM-MD5) are used for login to
>>POP/IMAP ???
>>
>> ?? we are talking of an SMTP server here! These authentication are
>> for decent client applications, like the not so amazing, but still
>> much better than OE, Eudora.
>
>i try Eudora after reading your message.
>Surprisingly, it won't work with any of my authenticators??

I use Eudora for Mac, have used OE for windows (with headaches),
Mail.app for Mac (drives me mad too), pine. They all work. I suspect
you might have still the cisco in the way. Why can't you just do the
easy thing and telnet to the server from the *same* machine you use
for testing eudora or OE, and see if you can get past the EHLO
command?

> > >Right now, the situation is the client needs to enter password TWICE,
>> >1 for pop email off their mailbox, 1 for sending mail from my server.
>>
>> OE allows you to use for SMTP AUTH the same authentication settings
>> of the POP/IMAP account, so there is no need.
>
>yes, i find this too. Thx
>

>> let them complain, they would anyway, after all they most probably
>> use Windows, poor little ones.
>
>They must ask me WHY need to enter password twice.
>Dunno if i should tell them the truth: "i can't make it work"

one thing is: it does not work: in this case they don't have to enter
the password twice... another thing is: it works, and then it depends
on the client if you have to (or better: can) enter the password
twice.

Come one,

Giuliano