[exim] Re: missing header lines in mdir format

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: missing header lines in mdir format
Meike Reichle <mrei0999@???> wrote:
> I have written a transport that puts spam with a certain classification
> into a special maildir. Now I wanted to add a script that sends mails to
> inform users that there is new mail their trashmail folders.

> I had this working before with the mbox format but now that I switched
> to maildir I noticed that the headers of the messages in these maildirs
> don't have the unixfrom line ("From user@adr date") that usually is at
> the top of every message. That causes me some problems, since we have
> some mail programs that won't recognize mail unless it has the unixfrom.

> Is there a way to have that line added? (I think it's actually even
> required by RFC 2822 ...)

Hello,
The "From ...." line is an integral[1] part of the mbox format but is
not transerfed over the network, it is generated at delivery (therefore
there is no connection to RFC2822). Maildir does not need or use this
line.[2] MUAs that require it nevertheless do not suppport Maildir
properly. - Which MUAs are we talking about?
               cu andreas

[1] It designates the start of a new message
[2] http://www.qmail.org/man/man5/maildir.html strongly suggest that
adding a From-line actually would be a bug.
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"
                                           http://downhill.aus.cc/