Re: [exim] IMAP server recommendations

Author: Michael Sprague
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] IMAP server recommendations
Brian Candler wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:36:59AM +0200, Hamish Whittal wrote:
>
>>I have been using Cyrus Imap for some time now and it seems awfully
>>slow. I wondered whether there were any recommendations for IMAP server
>>that could be used with Exim nicely. I am currently looking at BincIMAP,
>>but it does not allow authentication to an LDAP server - big problem in
>>my books.
>

> You realise that Cambridge University uses cyrus successfully for 30,000+
> users? Have a look at:
> http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-02-ukuug/
> http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2005-02-eximconf/
> and see if you can get some ideas on optimising your system and/or
> clustering.
>
> I have used courier-imap with a lot of success; but then again 99%+ of our
> users were using it for POP3, not IMAP. With courier-imap you also buying
> into a one-man project, and coming from Exim you'll miss excellent
> documentation, comments in the source code, and a helpful community. But the
> POP3 server at least is solid in operation.

Have you done any tuning to Cyrus? The type of database your using can
make a big difference. A while back I upgrade from db to skiplist at
one site and we saw a big performance boost.

I've used cyrus, courier and have recently tried dovecot. All 3 work
well, IMHO. It all depends on the situation. :)

Michael F. Sprague   |  mfs@???
Partner              |  System and Network Engineering (SaNE), Inc
use STD::disclaimer;