Re: [exim] IMAP server recommendations

Author: Brian Candler
To: Hamish Whittal
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] IMAP server recommendations
On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:36:59AM +0200, Hamish Whittal wrote:
> I have been using Cyrus Imap for some time now and it seems awfully
> slow. I wondered whether there were any recommendations for IMAP server
> that could be used with Exim nicely. I am currently looking at BincIMAP,
> but it does not allow authentication to an LDAP server - big problem in
> my books.

You realise that Cambridge University uses cyrus successfully for 30,000+
users? Have a look at:
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-02-ukuug/
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2005-02-eximconf/
and see if you can get some ideas on optimising your system and/or
clustering.

I have used courier-imap with a lot of success; but then again 99%+ of our
users were using it for POP3, not IMAP. With courier-imap you also buying
into a one-man project, and coming from Exim you'll miss excellent
documentation, comments in the source code, and a helpful community. But the
POP3 server at least is solid in operation.

Regards,

Brian.