Re: [exim] Exim Performance / Server Performance

Author: Brian Candler
To: RootChaos
CC: exim-users, 'Mark Morley'
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Performance / Server Performance
On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:58:51AM +0200, RootChaos wrote:
> We have no problem at this stage with the MySQL server not being able to
> service the requests from Exim. We are not experiencing problems with bounce
> messages, all mail are being accepted but ends up on the Exim queue for some
> other reasons...

Two sets of mysql lookups will be done: one at ACL time to stick the message
in the queue, and one at delivery time (the first attempt of which usually
happens straight afterwards).

If you had an intermittent problem with your mysql database, then:

- sometimes at ACL time the message would be rejected with a 4xx result.
You would not see it in your queue. The sender would try again later.

- sometimes you would accept the message at ACL time, but then the routing
to deliver the mail would fail with a temporary error. This would leave
the message in your queue.

That would give you the symptoms that you see.

So, do you get any clues in your log files as to what is happening?

What if you submit a message directly from the command line?

# exim -d -odf user@???

Try it ten times or more, at a time when your system is busy.

Plus, I suggest you turn up full logging on your mysql server and see if you
see any anomolies there.

Good luck,

Brian.