Re: [exim] Exim Performance / Server Performance

Author: Brian Candler
To: Greg A. Woods
CC: Exim User's Mailing List, rootchaos
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Performance / Server Performance
On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 03:49:29AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Finally it's also trivial to write a little script that can be called
> from cron every half hour or so to pull a list of valid accounts from
> any SQL based database server and transform it into the standard system
> password file. (though it's easier to write it in python or ruby, even
> if much more expensive to run, than it is to write it in plain sh + awk :-)

Yeah, and you have to be damned sure that you've done a good job, otherwise
you risk locking yourself out of the system completely.

You may choose to build your systems like that. But many of us choose to
build our systems using a *separate* authentication database for our users,
not messing with the system password file. Whether that's a .cdb file, or an
LDAP database, or a MySQL database, is a choice which affects the
performance and feature set of the system in ways which may be important to
us (for example, how quickly from creating a new account is the service
available).

Just as a thought: is it not conceivable that although your way works for
you, it may not be the best choice for everyone else?

Brian.