RE: [exim] Adding those Legal disclaimers to e-mails

Autor: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
A: David Brodbeck
CC: exim
Assumpte: RE: [exim] Adding those Legal disclaimers to e-mails
On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 13:57 -0400, David Brodbeck wrote:
> As I understand it, the hardest part is doing this without mangling MIME
> attachments. Correct?

no, attachments are easy -- however the added postscript will not be
displayed for the end user. whatever comes before the first MIME entity
(referred to as the "preamble" in RFC 2046) and after the last boundary
("epilogue") is to be ignored. for single-part messages, the postscript
becomes part of the MIME entity. this only works well for text/plain.

to do it properly, you encapsulate the message in a multipart/mixed with
two parts: one the original MIME entity, the other your disclaimer text.
MIME is after all a recursive structure, so you can do manipulations
like these at will. I don't know what the big deal about this is, it's
less than a dozen lines of Bourne shell script. if you want to make it
hard, you could code it up in Befunge, I guess.
--
Kjetil T.