[exim] Re: SA-Exim talk at LCA (was First SMTP callback impl…

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Philip Hazel, exim-users
CC:
Subject: [exim] Re: SA-Exim talk at LCA (was First SMTP callback implementation)
On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 10:06:43AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > (Strictly, callbacks were "released" in a testing release called 3.168.
> > I don't have details of its release date. 3.16 was released in Auguest
> > 2000, so it was sometime between August and November, if it matters that
> > much.)
>
> A reasonable idea, and knowing that as far as you knew, it didn't exist
> before you implemented it, is good enough for me (just trying to get
> statements reasonably correct for my Exim/SA-Exim talk in Australia)

If anyone is interested in the talk I just gave in Canberra, ACT at
linux.conf.au:
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/talks/SA-Exim/talk/
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/talks/SA-Exim/talk-src/ (pdf, staroffice)

Among the discussions and questions during the talk came the topic that
some MTAs (or broken senders that we shouldn't call MTAs) do not check
for the DATA return value after . and more specifically do not deal with
a 45x error then (typically a greylisting instance).
This is not a huge problem with SA-Exim since it only greylists mails
that are most likely spam anyway and lets other through directly, as
well as saves (optionally) all rejected and greylisted messages on disk
so that you can review them (maildir format, you can put courier imap on
it or mutt -f /path/to/folder)

All that said, I'm still interested in studies/reports/lists of such
broken senders and how they react to DATA responses or if they ignore
anything sent back after they send '.'

Thanks,
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key