Re: [exim] First SMTP callback implementation

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: [exim] Re: SA-Exim talk at LCA (was First SMTP callback implementation)
Subject: Re: [exim] First SMTP callback implementation
On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:51:00AM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > I've always assumed that SMTP callbacks (yeah, they're callouts now, sorry
> > :) came from Philip in Exim.
> >
> > Is this correct?
>
> I don't know. Callbacks were introduced in Exim 3.20 in November 2000;

Yes, I remember trying them when they came out. The coolest thing since
sliced bread at the time ;)

> callforwards did not arrive till Exim 4, just over a year later.

right.

> (Strictly, callbacks were "released" in a testing release called 3.168.
> I don't have details of its release date. 3.16 was released in Auguest
> 2000, so it was sometime between August and November, if it matters that
> much.)

A reasonable idea, and knowing that as far as you knew, it didn't exist
before you implemented it, is good enough for me (just trying to get
statements reasonably correct for my Exim/SA-Exim talk in Australia)

> You'll need to search for any evidence of anyone else doing this any
> earlier.

I hadn't found any, but I figured it was better to ask too

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 04:33:47PM +0000, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > You'll need to search for any evidence of anyone else doing this any
> > earlier.
>
> I believe that SAUCE was doing it before exim added the idea, but Ian is on
> holiday, and so I can't ask him when his CVS thinks that the idea was
> first added. SAUCE was also the first greylist implementation I saw.

Thanks for the pointer.
I'll give the URL for those who don't know it:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/sauce/

That's good to know. I'll credit both for now, and ask Ian

Thanks
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key