Re: [exim] Messages bouncing too soon

Author: Miros/law Baran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Messages bouncing too soon
15.04.2005 pisze Philip Hazel (ph10@???):

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Mark Rigby-Jones wrote:
>
> > I would expect messages to be bounced quickly once the remote host had been
> > down for two weeks or more, but I wouldn't expect any messages to be bounced
> > during the first two weeks - or am I misunderstanding something?
>
> The timeout depends on your retry settings. I am currently in Maputo, on
> the end of a very slow network connection, and I cannot devote much time
> to email. If you want to do further checking, the thing to do would be
> to send a test message to one of the failing domains, with debugging
> enabled, and using the -N command line option so that it doesn't
> actually get delivered. The debugging output should give some clue as to
> why it is bouncing. (I presume you are using release 4.50; if not, scan
> the ChangeLogs to see if there's anything relevant that has been
> changed.)

I've seen similar weird behaviour too. I'm not sure if it has something
in common, but the 'retry timeout exceeded' message did ring a bell.

The scenario: An e-mail was sent to user@???, which has two
MXes, alternator.domain.tld and rotanretla.domain.tld; both have
Postfix with sender callouts enabled.

Because both the MXes don't have any ident daemon running and in my
setup there was a rfc1413_query_timeout set to 10s, the situation was as
follows:

myhost.tld -> alternator [conn. 1] EHLO (and stuff)
alternator -> myhost.tld [conn. 2] EHLO (callout), 10s for banner,
probable timeout
alternator -> myhost.tld [conn. 1] 450
myhost.tld -> rotanretla [conn. 3] EHLO (and stuff)
rotanretla -> myhost.tld [conn. 4] EHLO (callout), 10s for banner,
probable timeout
rotanretla -> myhost.tld [conn. 3] 450

So far, so good. Then, something unexpected: the exim daemon creates
immediate bounce for that mail:

--8<--
  chopin@???
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<chopin@???>:
    host rotanretla.domain.tld [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 450 <baran@???>:
    Sender address rejected: unverified address: Address verification in progress:
    [this is the error message from the remote server]
    retry timeout exceeded
    [and this is what the exim has to say in that situation]
--8<--

The behaviour was triggered by two immediate 450s from both the MXes on
the receiving side. Retry rules are pretty standard:

*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

No additional retry controls are set. The exim version is 4.50 (the
Debian package 4.50-5), with a simple, one-file configuration /I don't
use the default Debian way of the Exim configuration/.

Kind regards
Jubal

--
[ Miros/law L Baran, baran-at-knm-org-pl, neg IQ, cert AI ] [ 0101010 is ]
[ BOF2510053411, makabra.knm.org.pl/~baran/, alchemy pany ] [ The Answer ]

          Things are more like they used to be than they are now.