Re: [exim] Messages bouncing too soon

Author: Mark Rigby-Jones
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Messages bouncing too soon
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, at 12:12, Philip Hazel typed:
> You are correct. Exim should only bounce messages after a host has been
> down for the full retry time. This is a tricky area of the code which has
> had problems in the past. Now that your problem has gone away, I'm not
> sure exactly how I can proceed to try to figure out what happened.
> Eyeballing the code doesn't always show up anything, but I'll take a
> look, just in case.

That particular problem has indeed gone away as we have no customers with
broken mail servers at the moment. I am seeing something very similar with
outgoing email (this came to light yesterday after Yahoo! decided to
"de-prioritize" our mail servers). I can see that domains are getting
marked as past their final cutoff in the retry DB file:

[mrj@??? exim/log]% exinext <domain>.com
Transport: <ipaddr> [<ipaddr>] error 110: Connection timed out
first failed: 26-Apr-2005 01:18:00
last tried: 27-Apr-2005 00:10:41
next try at: 27-Apr-2005 10:50:41
past final cutoff time

[mrj@??? exim/log]% exim -brt <domain>.com
Retry rule: * * F,2h,15m; F,16h,1h; F,4d,8h;

I'm not sure how to get more useful debug information, as I presume the
issue is with the delivery attempt which sets the 'past final cutoff time'
flag (as testing a domain which is already failed simply shows it being
rejected because that flag is set).

mrj
--
       Mark Rigby-Jones, Operations Manager @ Community Internet plc
       Windsor House, 12 High Street, Kidlington, Oxford OX5 2PJ, UK