Re: [exim] Re: Multi-line 5xx response (at DATA time)

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: Multi-line 5xx response (at DATA time)
On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> I've come to the conclusion that somewhere in the exim code (I'm not
> sufficiently familiar with it to locate the spot), exim is folding
> this message at white-space.

ChangeLog for 4.21 has this:
38. Improved the line breaking for long SMTP error messages from ACLs.
    Previously, if there was no break point between 40 and 75 characters, Exim
    left the rest of the message alone. Two changes have been made: (a) I've
    reduced the minimum length to 35 characters; (b) if it can't find a break
    point between 35 and 75 characters, it looks ahead and uses the first one
    that it finds. This may give the occasional overlong line, but at least the
    remaining text gets split now.

I thought there was a change or a request for no splitting, but I must
have been dreaming, because I can't find anything. It would be esy
enough to have an option, of course.