Re: [exim] Multi-line 5xx response (at DATA time)

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Multi-line 5xx response (at DATA time)
On 4/10/2005 15:38, "Wakko Warner" <wakko@???> wrote:

> John W. Baxter wrote:
>> On 4/10/2005 9:51, "Alan J. Flavell" <a.flavell@???> wrote:
>> 550 rejected see http://www.olympus.net/spamhaus/221.238.157.130
>> 550 rejected see http://www.olympus.net/local/64.14.48.172
>>
>> which lead to functional but ugly forms for requesting exemptions. One of
>> my pending tasks is to improve the form. I have the misfortune to be the
>> target of the form-generated email (only a few per week, with none some
>> weeks, and more when I've recently been too aggressive with our local block
>> list). (We do the block list in MySQL, and also do the exemptions in MySQL.
>> The blocks expire...the exemptions don't.)
>
> How long do you let the blocks live before the expire?

Currently the default is 60 days. Entries can be given longer lifetimes
when created, and the expiration date can be changed if desired (both from
our in-house web form). The Tiscali empire falls into that category
(currently those entries expire the end of June).

Actually, currently our expirer had expired (the machine it ran on is being
rebuilt). I somewhat prefer that, since it means I can look at the expired
records myself now and then and make decisions, rather than finding I have
to put the block back in place (it took tiscali.co.uk about 2 hours to
create 700 new rows in our greylisting database several months ago when I
accidentally let its block entry expire).

--John