Re: [exim] host name in SMTP greeting

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] host name in SMTP greeting
On 13 Apr 2005 at 9:24, Akhthar Parvez. K wrote about
    "Re: [exim] host name in SMTP greeting":

| It would be ok if I can get the MX name of the domain instead of the server
| name in SMTP greetings. Can you please tell me how exactly I can do
| this(practically)

Like I said, each MX server name would have to resolve to a different
IP address. Does your server have enough different public IP
addresses? I think not, and unless it does, there is not point to
describing the details (which would involve $interface_address).

| But is there no way to get the domainname itself? I thought it would be easy
| to get the domain name from an email address(eg:- to get test.com from
| test@???).

*Which* domainname? Reread my first reply, and think about this a
bit more. There is not necessaryily just one email address involved.
More important, think about the timing. When does your server send
the greeting, and when does the client send the recipient's email
addresses?

| But I have no clue how to do this. I can see that there is a
| variable in exim.conf called $domain which resolves to the domain name.

But *when* does it? In a RCPT ACL, in a router, and sometimes in a
transport. In other words when you are processing a message sent by
the client. And *when* do you send the SMTP greeting? The very
first thing, before the client has sent you *anything*. The *only*
information you have at that point is the clients's IP address and
the interface IP address it connected to.

| I was just trying..but had no luck..if anyone can help me regarding this, many
| thanks in advance:-)

I guess you meant to reply to the list. This list puts the senders
address in Reply-To: rather than the list address, so you need to be
carefull that you select the list address when replying. Some
mailer's have a "reply to list" option using the List-Post: header.

I'll reply to the list, but I don't think it will matter. No one can
help you because what you want to do is impossible.

| NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE
| Because Impossible itself says
| I'M POSSIBLE

Not this time... ;)