Re: [exim] host name in SMTP greeting

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] host name in SMTP greeting
On 13 Apr 2005 at 8:11, Akhthar Parvez. K wrote about
    "[exim] host name in SMTP greeting":

| I would like to know if we can setup the hostname in SMTP greetings in such a
| manner that when we send an email to a domain, the hostname in SMTP greetings
| should be the domain name rather than the hostname of the server. In other
| words, if I do
|
| telnet <domainname> 25
|
| I should get the domain name instead of the server name. This is not a
| particular domain name. But the prmiary_hostname should be changed according
| to the domain to which I am sending emails or to which I do telnet.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the domain name from the
recipient email address (which makes no sense), or the name from the
MX record for that domain which points to your server (which *is* a
hostname, but doesn't necessarily belong to the email domain).

If you mean the email domain name, the answer is no. There are a
couple significant problems with that: if you host multiple email
domains, a single message can have recipients in more than one of
them and multiple messages with different recipients can be sent in a
single SMTP session. Even if there were only one message with only
one recipient, you don't learn the recipient address until long after
you've sent the greeting.

If you mean the MX hostname, you can only do that if your server is
multi-homed (listens on mulitple IP addresses), and each unique MX
hostname resolves to a different IP address. At the time of the
initial connection, all you have to go on is the destination IP
address that the client chose to connect to. At no point in an SMTP
session does the client communicate the hostname it used to obtain
the IP address.

- Fred