Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
At 9:24 am +0000 2005/03/25, Brian Candler wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 05:37:10PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

[...]
> > The only way the reverse-DNS can be verified is if _ALL_ hostnames have
>> valid corresponding PTRs. Period. The logic is inescapable and widely
>> accepted and agreed to.
>
>The logic is flawed. If you run a webserver which has 10,000 virtual domains
>(a common configuration), you do generally do not put 10,000 PTR records for
>that IP address. It would be madness to do so.

or maybe not? Isn't it possible to do Named Virtual Hosts with a
CNAME? If that is true, then you do not need 1000s of A records and
thus you do not need the corresponding PTRs.

Having said so, why on this list if one posts a pertinent question
about, say, exim delivery to cyrus, oh how uninterested I am!, one
gets one or two replies, whilst for these well known semi-irrelevant
topics the flood-gates open?
[this was a rethorical question that does not need a reply!]

Giuliano