Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: Troy Engel
To: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
David Brodbeck wrote:

> I don't even run a large site and I can't afford it. A fair number of
> customers and vendors we deal with regularly seem to HELO with names like
> "foobar.local" for some reason. HELO strings containing an underscore
> aren't uncommon here, either.

Having just migrated our sole NT4 PDC machine to Win2k3 Server (we use
Exchange for Calendaring), this is a Microsoft thing. My guess is these
are Exchange2000/2003 mail servers, as ours is named 'foobar.local' as
well, it's the MS recommended practice outlined in all their migration docs.

All the domain connected Win32 workstations are 'machine.foobar.local'
now, and don't use the real DNS suffix coming out of DHCP/bind on the
linux boxen. I had to configure a special forwarder in my real DNS just
to cope with DNS lookups to 'foobar.local', it's annoying.

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid, Inc | http://www.fluid.com