Re: [exim] Any news on the on-success option for transports?

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Any news on the on-success option for transports?
On 3/21/2005 5:52, "Philip Hazel" <ph10@???> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Elandril wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to ask if there was any news or planned implementation
>> for the on-success option within transports? That would really be a
>> very helpful feature since an increasing amoung of people want the get
>> "delivered successfully" messages for their important mails.
>
> No news, no plans, sorry. The WishList is long, the bugs/tidy list is
> growing, I am working on infrastructure, there are only so many hours in
> the working week. I'm sure you are aware of all that... :-)

Note that delivery to the server on the other end doesn't mean that the
recipient had a chance at seeing the message. Even a manual receipt system
only shows that *someone or something* received the message...it might be
the recipients 5 year old clicking a button.

We implement "certified mail" for outgoing customer mail, in our mail
processor. Only for folks who authenticate their connections.

The mechanism provides for retrieving the log entry in which the message was
sent on to the world...since we log the data sent back by the receiving
server, that usually includes the message ID. (Our UI provides for mailing
the information to anyone, on request, including the admin of the server at
the other end.)

We also implement a measure of verification...after sending a "certified"
message, one has a means at a later date to send the same message again and
get back a confirmation that this indeed is (or the SHA2 digest says it is)
the same message that was sent before. (During the implementation of which
we learned that Eudora tacks an extra newline onto the end of a message when
doing the Send Again command.)

--John