Re: [exim] Any news on the on-success option for transports?

Author: Jonathan Vanasco
Subject: Re: [exim] Any news on the on-success option for transports?
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Elandril wrote:
>>> I just wanted to ask if there was any news or planned implementation
>>> for the on-success option within transports? That would really be a
>>> very helpful feature since an increasing amoung of people want the
>>> get
>>> "delivered successfully" messages for their important mails.

Systems like that scare me. At some point, 1 message always becomes
200k, because someone made a typo and 'delivered successful' messages
keep getting sent to each mta for having received a successful delivery
of a successful delivery message

as someone else also commented, that only affects the MTA successfully
delivering to a destination -- it doesn't mean that a user
read/received it, or that it wasn't accidentally deleted on receipt by
an outlook glitch, etc.

mta configurations all seem to handle accepting mail differently too.
some will take anything, then analyze it later and generate bounces if
needed. others will do recipient verification at smtp time and accept
or bounce -- so 'delivered sucessfully' wouldn't really work well on an
mta -- as a message sucessfully handed off to another mta could later
result in an invalid delivery, and there's no way to tell to which
extent if any at all, the remote machines 'delivered' a message to