Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: Fred Viles
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
On 21 Mar 2005 at 2:17, Greg A. Woods wrote about
    "Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT r":

| Regardless RFC 1123 is also still the main part of the mandatory host
| requirements standard (part of STD 3), the single most important (though
| as I said, somewhat dated and politically flawed) requirements document
| for all Internet participants.  It still reads, in part:
|
|       5.2.5  HELO Command: RFC-821 Section 3.5
|
|          The sender-SMTP MUST ensure that the <domain> parameter in a
|          HELO command is a valid principal host domain name for the
|          client host.  [[ .... ]]

And goes on to say:

         The HELO receiver MAY verify that the HELO parameter really
         corresponds to the IP address of the sender.  However, the
         receiver MUST NOT refuse to accept a message, even if the
         sender's HELO command fails verification.

Look familiar?

- Fred