Re: [exim-dev] Saving the variable part of local part suffix…

Author: John W. Baxter
To: Michael Haardt, exim-dev@exim.org
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Saving the variable part of local part suffixes
On 3/15/2005 2:35, "Michael Haardt" <michael@???> wrote:

>>> I saw postmasters use prefixes for all kinds of things, but what users
>>> know by "subaddressing" always uses a separator between the user part
>>> on the left and a subaddress on the right.
>>
>> Not here...we use a prefix (dodging the plural form here ;-) with a .
>> Separator.
>
> Although I thought, if anybody used prefixes, he will probably object,
> I didn't expect to see an answer.
>
>> Unfortunately, a suitable URL isn't directly available for our
>> documentation...go here:
>>
>> http://www.olympus.net/
>>
>> And in the second column from the left, click documentation under
>> AccountManager.  Then search for
>>    prefix

> All I get is:

> Errors are:

That's odd, Michael, and thanks for the report. I have passed it along.
The search worked while I was preparing the message for the list.

Fortunately, there is an alternate route:

go here:

http://www.olympus.net/

And in the second column from the left, click documentation under
AccountManager. (Same as before so far)

In the left column, click AccountManager User Manual.

In the Contents, click a. Prefix Mail Aliases under 2. Mail Aliases under
C. Mail Tools.

>> However, we manage and process these addresses outside of Exim (the code
>> then tells Exim where to deliver the message)...we have nothing about prefix
>> in the Exim configurations.
>
> Could you tell me some examples? This may be very interesting to the
> Sieve mailing list.

Well, when I register a product with a vendor I haven't used before, I
create a vendor-specific prefix mail alias...something like
xxx.jwbaxter@???
(which example I haven't defined, so it will bounce). I use AccountManager
to define the alias--before completing the registration, as some vendors are
now checking the offered address before letting one proceed through the
form.

If I want to, I can define xxx.jwbaxter@??? with a limited lifetime,
and AccountManager will then automatically remove it.

When the address is defined in AccountManager, one of the actions is to add
it as an address in our MySQL database...that way Exim knows to accept it.
The message like other incoming messages is handed off to our mail processor
system, which deals with the prefix (and any sorting or forwarding that it
may trigger). Once the message is handed back to Exim, it is addressed to
jwbaxter@??? (unless forwarded somewhere else).

--John