Re: [exim-dev] Saving the variable part of local part suffix…

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Saving the variable part of local part suffixes
> I will look at it, but not for some days. I suspect, however, that what
> bothered me was the increase in size of the address_item structure,
> because it's quite big already and I'm wary about making it bigger.
> There is no problem for a message with only a few recipients, but people
> have mailing lists that expand into thousands of addresses, in which
> case each increase uses 1000s times the memory increase. But maybe I'm
> too paranoid.

The patch would add one pointer to an already allocated string, so 1000
addresses would allocate about a page more on typical 32-bit systems.

> One other comment: your patch appears to cope only with suffixes. Any
> such change must also handle prefixes, for consistency.

I saw postmasters use prefixes for all kinds of things, but what users
know by "subaddressing" always uses a separator between the user part
on the left and a subaddress on the right.

Do you want to add a variable that contains the "*"-matched part of
a prefix? That's more than a pointer, I think. ;-)

Michael